When I had my heart triple bypass and then cancer I had to get all my financial and medical documents together. It was quite a job so my advice is start now.


Wills & powers of attorney

No-one wants to think about death in the prime of life. But it’s important to decide what will happen to your assets when you die. Find out how you can give instructions to your family about your legal and medical preferences should you fall ill or lose the capacity to make those decisions yourself.

  • Estate plans
  • Wills
  • Testamentary trusts
  • Powers of attorney
  • Your legal and financial housekeeping

Estate plans

An estate plan includes your will as well as any other directions on how you want your assets distributed after your death. It includes documents that govern how you will be cared for, medically and financially, if you become unable to make your own decisions in the future.

You must be over 18 and mentally competent when you draw up the legal agreements that form your estate plan. Key documents might include:

  • Will
  • Superannuation death nominations
  • Testamentary trust
  • Powers of attorney
  • Power of guardianship
  • Anticipatory direction

Smart tip: It’s estimated that nearly half of all Australians die without a will, or ‘intestate’. Don’t let this happen to you. Make a will today.


To read more download your free copy here.

Download 52 Retirement Secrets

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This